Monday, July 21, 2014

Paper Bag Cowboy Boots

A couple weeks ago we had a Wild West theme. I haven't done this theme in several years and it was fun to get back in the saddle again. (Sorry -- couldn't resist!) One of our projects was making cowboy/cowgirl boots. I got the idea from Momstown Calgary.
We pretty much followed their directions. I found a boot template from a quick google search, enlarged it to fit the paper bag and cut out a bunch of them from different colored construction paper. The kids decorated them with circle and star confetti/sequins.
I also photocopied some spurs that I found in the July/August Teacher Idea Book. Those were glued on around the ankle and decorated as well.

I had actually considered cutting out the bottom of the bags so the kids could wear them, but then I thought they would all get crushed and destroyed as they walked around.
But paper bag boots fit their legs/feet perfectly, so it's definitely an option! I told the kids they could cut the bottoms out when they got home if they wanted to. Still love how they turned out, though!


7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm loving your cowboy theme! I think another cool craft to do with the kids can be making diy shoe birdhouses. Check out the cowboy ones they're adorable http://www.jampaper.com/blog/10-trendy-shoe-birdhouses/

Betsy said...

Those are really cute birdhouses, Alicia! Thanks for sharing them. What a great idea!

Abby said...

I love this idea! Is there any chance you still have the spur template? I can't find anything I like that is easy for preschool.

Thank you!

Abby

Betsy said...

Abby, I do still have the template, but your email wasn't attached to your comment. You can email me separately at tippytoecrafts@gmail.com and I can send you the PDF. Otherwise you can just use a star for the spur and attach it to a strip of paper.

Teachermom said...

Please can you share your templates for boot and spur? VBS craft! Thank you so much!
Kelly.davis@saisd.org

Unknown said...

Hi! Can you share the template with me? This would be perfect for my summer camp! modell@rafos.org.

Thank you!

Phenwom said...

Thank you SSO much for posting this. I used it for my Chemo themed costume. Send you a picture. I used a large paper sack with rope handle.